It is common for many golfers to believe that the driver and putter are the most essential clubs for golfing.
However, they tend to overlook wedges, which are just as vital when you find yourself stuck in sticky situations.
If you are a mid-handicap golfer, who consistently scores in the 80s’ on a 72-par golf course and are seeking to improve your short game, you have landed at the right place!
In this guide, we will look at what golf wedges may be best suited to your playstyle and budget from our list of the 10 best wedges for mid-handicappers of the year.
Here's What's In Store For You...
- 1 Top 10 Wedges For Average Golfers That Fit Your Budget & Style
- 1.1 Callaway Mack Daddy 5 Jaws > https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W8JV92D > Best Feedback Option
- 1.2 Callaway Mack Daddy 5 Jaws
- 1.3 Titleist Vokey SM9 Wedge
- 1.4 Wilson Harmonized Wedges
- 1.5 TaylorMade MG2 Wedges
- 1.6 Cleveland CBX Wedge
- 1.7 Mizuno T22
- 1.8 Cleveland RTX-3
- 1.9 Cobra Golf King MIM Black Wedge
- 1.10 Cleveland Golf- RTX ZipCore Wedge
- 1.11 TaylorMade MG3 SB
- 2 What Are The Different Types Of Wedges
- 3 What Are The Different Types Of Bounce?
- 4 Final Thoughts
Our Top 3 Best Wedges For Mid Handicappers At A Glance
- Color/Style: Spin Milled Steel Finish
- Loft Range: 45-60 degrees
- Soles: N/A
- Color/Style: High Polish Finish
- Loft Range: 50-60 degrees
- Soles: N/A
Top 10 Wedges For Average Golfers That Fit Your Budget & Style
A forgiving golf wedge in your golf bag can vastly help improve your short game and lower your par score to single digits. This is exactly what any mid-handicap golfer is searching for!
However, choosing a golf wedge can be difficult. You need to take into consideration several factors, as well as, evaluate what type of wedge bounce and loft height is best suited to the situation and your play style.
To help aid you in making a more informed buying decision here are our top wedges for mid-handicappers in 2022.
Callaway Mack Daddy 5 Jaws
The Callaway Mack Daddy 5 Jaws is a golf wedge crafted by the manufacturer’s chief designer Roger Cleveland. Cleveland left no stone unturned in making this wedge not only look beautiful but also give it a unique feel and superior performance.
This wedge is constructed with 8620 mild carbon steel that provides an extra soft feel with a high level of spin, making it one of the best golf wedges on the market.
- The wedge comes with tour-tested W and C grinds that allow a wider variety of greenside shots.
- Unlike a traditional lob wedge or sand wedge, the head shaping is more progressive. It has a compact design best for gap and pitching wedges that seamlessly transition into an iron set.
- The shaft comes in two construction options: Temper Tour Issue 115 Steel and Catalyst 80 Graphite.
- You can also find lambkin’s UTX grip as a stock option with a choice of black and blue.
- The loft varies between 46-64 degrees
- Excellent built quality and design that makes it visually appealing
- It has a wide variety of loft and sole grind options
- Offers a high level of spin on longer pitch shots and full shots, making it excellent for use in distances of over 100 yards
- It gives more precision and control
- It has a soft feel
- The progressive design makes it perfect for users who want a compact lob wedge.
- It is not as forgiving as other options available for mid-handicap golfers
Compared to other golf wedges this wedge offers a smooth seamless feel and decent control regardless of what lengths you are trying to hit.
The carbon steel head combined with a modern design and Lamkin UTX grip offers excellent feedback which makes it one of the best golf wedges for mid-handicappers.
Titleist Vokey SM9 Wedge
- It features a Progressive Center Of Gravity that helps with distance and trajectory control.
- It also adds weight to the topline design with a tapered toe to align the CG properly for ball flight and contact.
- The spin-milled grooves help increase spin and shot control.
- The shaft is a True Temper Dynamic Gold S200.
- It comes with 6 grind options and 23 different loft and bounce options that can be optimized for a low bounce or high bounce.
- Sharp grooves help cut the ball allowing you to get better loft and finish.
- The forward CG of this mid-handicap wedge gives amazing feedback due to increased MOI.
- The club face almost always squares upon impact.
- Offers maximum spin and trajectory control
- Boast amazing looks
- Multiple bounce and grips options
- Depending on the loft you want you can choose a gap wedge, pitching wedge, lob wedge, or a sand wedge
- Owners of the previous generation SM8 can overlook this evolved version
Titleist Vokey SM9 Wedge is one of the best wedges for mid-handicappers because of its versatility and consistent performance.
With the high attention to detail given by Titleist, there is little chance of mistakes in the manufacturing of this wedge, making it our top pick amongst the several golf wedges listed here.
Wilson Harmonized Wedges
The Wilson Harmonized Wedges is in our view the best budget mid-handicap wedge. Its affordable pricing combined with performance that is at par with higher-end wedges makes it our budget pick for 2022.
It boasts a new sole grind design that allows mid-handicap golfers to open the club face for improved performance and higher shot accuracy.
- Classical high polish finish with a great design
- The club is perfect for long shots to help get your golf ball closer to the pin or cup
- True Temper Steel Irons provide high performance and reliability
- Sole grinds on the face of the club allow you to open it and hit longer shots with precision.
- The blade shape provides modified bounce angles
- Available in multiple loft angles that include: 50° Pitch Wedge, 52° Gap Wedge, 56° Sand Wedge, 60° Lob Wedge, and 64° Trouble Wedge
- Sole grind higher shots with more accuracy, therefore improving performance and maneuverability.
- It has a classical design philosophy that looks beautiful
- This blade-style wedge provides maximum spin to the ball
- Excellent price point considering the performance and feel provided
- It might require some practice to get used to this wedge
The Wilson Harmonized Wedges are our budget pick because of their affordable price point and excellent performance.
We will recommend this wedge to anyone that wants versatile and durable performance without breaking the bank.
TaylorMade MG2 Wedges
- Comes with Raw Face Technology to maximize spin with sharper, narrower, and deeper grooves.
- The TaylorMade Milled Grind process maximizes consistency and tolerance levels for turf interaction
- The back cavity of the wedge has a TPU insert to reduce vibrations and noise
- Optimized CG location with redistribution of mass in the head.
- Good functionality for a mid handicapper
- Provides excellent control of ball flight and lower trajectory wedge shots that take one bounce and spin
- TaylorMade Milled Grind gives a consistent performance on the turf
- The clean-looking design makes it visually appealing
- Provides a solid feel with no vibrations with the introduction of a TPU insert
- Does not have too much built-in forgiveness compared to other mid-handicapper wedges
The TaylorMade MG2 golf wedges provide precisely crafted sole grinds, a TPU insert, a raw face design, and a thin head that make it a delight on the golf course.
It comes in a variety of loft options so you can choose between a higher bounce wedge or a low bounce wedge.
Its ability to control the ball makes it one of the best golf wedges for mid-handicappers and will be your best bet when faced with tricky situations.
Cleveland CBX Wedge
- To distribute weight to the outer edges the wedge comes with a Hollow Cavity Design.
- The dynamic sole has grinds that offer more versatility to execute any shot
- Fourth Generation Rotex Face for Tour Zip Grooves Technology for performance
- Face Milled surface for spin and control
- GelbackTPU Insert and Enhanced Feel Balancing Technology improve its feel
- Black Satin Finish that makes it subtle
- It has a wide range of loft options
- Offers impressive spin and short game control
- Has excellent feel on impact with the golf ball
- Really forgiving
- Excellent built quality that makes it long-lasting
- It is perfect for all skill levels so you can use it longer than other mid-handicap wedges
- It sounds a bit clicky
If you are a mid-handicapper that hits behind the ball or struggles to make a consistent impact with the center of the face, these Cleveland wedges are a must-buy!
They are available with 3 different soles to offer you the versatility that allows you to modify your shot results, making them our Editor’s choice for the best wedge for mid-handicapper.
- This golf wedge features one-piece Grain Flow Forged HD from 1025E Pure Select Mild Carbon Steel.
- For greater strength 1025 Boron Carbon Steel is used in its construction
- To improve feedback and feel the head geometry is fine-tuned with Harmonic Impact Technology.
- Quad Cut Grooves optimized for both stronger lofts and higher lofts
- It also has Hydroflow Micro Grooves that help in removing moisture in wet conditions to provide maximum spin.
- You can choose between loft options that include: a 46-48° Pitching wedge, a 50-52° Gap Wedge, a 54-56° Sand Wedge, and a 58-60° Lob Wedge.
- You can also choose the bounce of these wedges and they are available in low-bounce, mid-bounce, and high-bounce options.
- Grain flow forged HD grooves with one-piece metal
- Has an impressive feel and feedback
- It offers a high level of spin control
- Available in a wide variety of finishes
- Performs great in all weather conditions.
- The metal finishing can get scuffed up
These wedges by Mizuno offer excellent feedback making them the best wedges for mid-handicapper golfers.
As a mid handicapper, you will notice that the Hydroflow grooves channel the water away, leaving a clean face for better spin.
The Mizuno T22 is the best golf wedge for players that encounter wet conditions regularly.
- This wedge is offered in a variety of designs that include blade, cavity back, and women’s cavity back.
- It also has three different finishes: Tour Satin, Black Satin, and Tour Raw.
- The difference between the RTX-3 Blade and the RTX-3 Cavity Back is small but noticeable. On its own, the CB isn’t an oversized wedge, but next to the Blade, it’s just a little bigger in every dimension.
- The leading edge is a bit rounded, the head has a slight teardrop shape, and the toe is neither too square nor too bulbous.
- It comes with three sole options: One dot for low-bounce wedges, two dots for mid-bounce wedges, and three dots for high-bounce wedges.
- Feedback is very good
- Excellent spin
- Awesome V-sole grind
- Clean looks
- Three sole option
- Excellent built quality
- It is not a new wedge considering other available options
The RTX-3 offers a dependable solution for your golfing needs, it is a versatile wedge that offers performance similar to several other wedges on this list.
All-in-all, its dependability due to excellent built quality and performance makes it one of the best wedges for mid-handicappers.
Cobra Golf King MIM Black Wedge
- The Cobra Golf King features a metal injection molded 304 SS construction that makes it stronger than other wedges
- The versatile tour wedge grind gives the ball more spin on impact
- Progressive spin technology will increase the amount the club spins the ball as you get closer to the higher lofts.
- You can find gap wedges, sand wedges, and high-lofted wedges in the Cobra Series
- On the 48-54° lofts, the grooves are of conventional length across the face but are narrower and deeper while on the 56°, 58° and 60° wedges, the grooves are full face and are wider and shallower than the lower lofts.
- It offers an amazing feel with solid feedback
- The wedge is versatile and can be opened or shut depending on your needs
- The three grinds make this wedge a great option for players seeking a custom fit when playing on the greens
- It does not use the latest technology found on new wedges.
It can totally change your outlook on greens and improve your game significantly.
The Cobra King Black Wedge is the best option for mid-handicappers who want high spin characteristics with a decent amount of forgiveness and feel.
Cleveland Golf- RTX ZipCore Wedge
- These forgiving wedges are designed by shifting the CG and raising MOI with ZipCore technology.
- It also features UltiZip Groove Technology that makes the grooves sharper, deeper, and narrower providing a closer contact
- To produce durable wedges, Cleveland has introduced a heat treatment that increases durability.
- It comes with 3 versatile grinds to deliver better performance on the greens
- It is also built with True Temper Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour Issue shaft.
- The RTX ZipCore series is available in pitching wedge, gap wedge, sand wedge, and lob wedge types.
- Better durability due to heat treatment
- Consistent ball spin and accuracy
- Works as you improve to a lower handicapper as well
- Very forgiving for lower end mid handicappers
- One of the best high-bounce wedges
- Cavity back or more blade styles are available
- The high-toe design might not be suitable for everyone
The Cleveland RTX ZipCore is the most forgiving wedge that provides spin to off-centered hits as well.
It is recommended for golfers that regularly find themselves in tricky situations because it works great when chipping the ball, making it the best pitching wedge for mid handicappers
TaylorMade MG3 SB
- With minimal branding, TaylorMade MG3 comes Satin Raw Chrome, and Satin Raw Black finishes.
- It has an 8620 carbon steel construction that gives it a solid sensation on impact.
- It comes with Raw Face Technology, Raised Micro-Ribs, and ZTP-17 grooves
- ZTP-17 Grooves have steeper walls and sharper edge radius to put more bite on the ball
- A standard bounce option ranging between 9 -12 degrees is offered on every loft.
- “Low Bounce” of 8 degrees is available at 56, 58, and 60 degrees, and a “High Bounce” option (12 to 14 degrees) is offered from 52 to 60 degrees.
- Another feature of this wedge is Thick-Thin Design
- Aesthetic design and looks
- Soft and solid feel
- Precise feedback
- High, consistent spin on all types of shots.
- Offers slight improvement over the MG2 model so not a good option for owners of the previous generation
The TaylorMade MG3 SB is a great option for mid-handicappers buying a new wedge.
It offers consistent spin and a solid feel thanks to its precision-milled sole and raw face technology, making it the best wedge you can buy currently on the market.
What Are The Different Types Of Wedges
There are four different types of wedges namely: pitching wedge, gap wedge, sand wedge, and lob wedge.
Each of them offers a specific loft that makes them suitable for certain shots.
1) Pitching Wedge
It has a loft range of 46-48 degrees. It can be used for full swings toward greens or for long chip shots.
2) Gap Wedge
It has a loft range of 50-53 degrees and fills the gap between the player’s pitching wedge and sand wedge.
This lets you take full swing rather than softening up your approach with a pitching wedge or aggressively hacking with a sand wedge.
3) Sand Wedge
It has a loft range of 54-56/58 degrees and it is used to navigate out of sand traps and roughs.
Due to its high loft angle, the sand wedge can pop the ball up and limit spin.
4) Lob Wedge
It has a loft range of 59-65 degrees and these are considered higher lofted wedges.
They are best for getting the ball up in the air with little travel.
What Are The Different Types Of Bounce?
It has a range of 0-10 degrees and works best for shots from tight lies and firm conditions.
It lies within the range of 10-16 degrees and it is considered the most versatile bounce.
A bounce angle of more than 16 degrees is considered a high bounce.
This helps you play out of very soft turf and sand.
This list of best wedges for mid-handicappers contains some well-renowned names along with others that might not be as popular.
However, each wedge featured on this list can be the best wedge for you and exactly what you may have been looking for as a mid-handicapper.
If you are still having trouble deciding which one to go with pick any one of our top 3 options to get the best value for your money and arguably the best overall performance.