At the heart of a solid short game is having the right set of wedges in your golf club’s bag.
Wedges are designed to make the difficult shots around the green easier, and mastering the chipping game can help you save valuable strokes.
However, not all wedges are created equal. In this article, we will help you find the best wedges for chipping and show you how to outplay your competition and improve your game.
Here's What's In Store For You...
Our Top 3 Best Wedge for Chipping – At A Glance
- Premium Finish
- Precise Distance Control
- Maximum Spin
- Variable face thickness
- Heel and toe weighting
- Milled face and grooves
- ZipCore Technology
- UltiZip Grooves
- Heat Treatment
The Best Chipping Wedges for All Skill Levels
We know having the right wedge in your bag can make all the difference.
That is why we have intensively reviewed the best wedges for chipping around the green that can improve your game and give you that extra edge on the golf course.
1) Titleist Vokey SM8 Wedge
The Titleist Vokey SM8 Wedge is an excellent choice for golfers looking to improve their short game.
The club's exceptional spin and distance control and its customizable options make it a valuable addition to any golfer's bag.
While it is a premium club, its quality, and performance justify the price tag.
The Titleist Vokey SM8 wedge is a versatile and high-performing wedge that is a great choice for golfers of all skill levels.
It features six sole grind options, including the popular M-grind and the versatile S-grind, allowing golfers to choose the best grind for their game.
The wedge also has a precision-milled face and grooves that provide maximum spin and consistent performance on chip shots.
- Maximum Spin: The Vokey SM8 wedge features a progressive center of gravity designed to create optimal spin rates on every shot.
- Precise Distance Control: The wedge’s CNC machined grooves and center of gravity placement provide golfers with consistent distance control.
- Improved Feel: The wedge features 100% inspected TX4 grooves and a heat treatment process that enhances the feel and sound of the club.
- Customization Options: Golfers can choose from a wide range of loft, bounce, and grind options to match their specific playing style and course conditions.
- Premium Finish: The wedge features a tour chrome finish that looks great and provides excellent durability.
- The Vokey SM8 wedge delivers exceptional spin and distance control, crucial for golfers looking to improve their short game.
- The wedge’s customization options allow golfers to fine-tune their club to match their playing style and course conditions.
- The premium finish of the club gives it an attractive look that will impress any golfer.
- The club’s improved feel and sound are noticeable and can help golfers develop confidence in their short game.
- The Vokey SM8 wedge is a premium club priced accordingly, making it less accessible for some golfers.
- Some golfers may find the wide range of customization options overwhelming and require additional help to determine the best configuration for their game.
2) Cleveland Golf RTX ZipCore Wedge
The Cleveland Golf RTX ZipCore Wedge is an excellent choice for golfers looking for exceptional spin and control on their short-game shots.
The combination of ZipCore technology, UltiZip grooves, and a dynamic sole make this wedge a versatile and reliable option on the course.
While the price may be steep for some golfers, the durability and performance of the RTX ZipCore wedge make it a worthwhile investment for those serious about improving their short game.
Cleveland Golf has been a leader in wedge design for years, and the RTX ZipCore wedge is no exception.
The RTX ZipCore is designed to give golfers optimal spin and control on their short-game shots.
With several innovative features, this wedge will help golfers of all skill levels improve their performance around the greens.
- ZipCore Technology: The RTX ZipCore wedge features a low-density core that is designed to redistribute weight to the perimeter of the club head.
This allows for better control and consistency on shots and increased spin rates.
- UltiZip Grooves: The UltiZip grooves on the RTX ZipCore wedge are sharper and deeper than those on previous models, allowing for more spin and control on shots.
- Heat Treatment: The RTX ZipCore wedge undergoes a heat treatment process that makes the clubhead more durable and resistant to wear and tear.
- Dynamic Sole: The dynamic sole on the RTX ZipCore wedge is designed to adapt to various turf conditions, allowing for consistent performance on any shot.
- Excellent Spin: The RTX ZipCore wedge provides exceptional spin and control on short game shots, making it an ideal choice for golfers who want to improve their performance around the greens.
- Versatile: The dynamic sole and UltiZip grooves on the RTX ZipCore wedge make it a versatile club that can be used for various shots.
- Durable: The heat treatment process used on the RTX ZipCore wedge makes it more durable and resistant to wear and tear than previous models.
- Price: The RTX ZipCore wedge is more expensive than some other wedges on the market, which may be a drawback for budget-conscious golfers.
- Weight: Some golfers may find that the weight distribution of the RTX ZipCore wedge takes some getting used to, although this is a minor issue.
3) Tour Edge Hot Launch Wedge
The Tour Edge Hot Launch wedge is a highly recommended option for golfers looking to improve their short game.
Its consistent performance, excellent spin control, and forgiveness make it a standout product among its competitors.
While it may have a few limitations regarding loft options and weight, these are relatively minor drawbacks compared to its many strengths.
The Tour Edge Hot Launch wedge is a reliable, versatile, and affordable for any golfer.
The Tour Edge Hot Launch wedge is a highly regarded product among golfers of all skill levels.
It is designed to provide maximum accuracy and spin control, making it an ideal club for players looking to improve their short game.
In addition, this club is engineered to perform exceptionally well in various lies and conditions, making it a versatile option for any golfer.
In this review, we will be taking a closer look at the Tour Edge Hot Launch wedge and exploring its features, pros, cons, and overall verdict.
The Tour Edge Hot Launch wedge comes with several impressive features, including:
- Variable face thickness: This allows for more incredible ball speed and distance control across the entire face.
- Heel and toe weighting: This helps to provide a larger sweet spot and more forgiveness on off-center shots.
- Milled face and grooves: These features create maximum spin and control for improved short-game performance.
- Hollow body design: This enhances feel and feedback while also providing better weight distribution and stability.
- Consistent performance: This wedge delivers consistent results in various conditions, making it a reliable option for any golfer.
- Excellent spin control: The milled face and grooves create maximum spin and control, allowing precision shots around the green.
- Forgiveness: The heel and toe weighting helps to increase the sweet spot and reduce the negative effects of off-center hits.
- Value for money: The Tour Edge Hot Launch wedge is a reasonably priced club with premium performance.
Despite its many strengths, there are a few potential drawbacks to consider before purchasing the Tour Edge Hot Launch wedge, including:
- Limited options: The wedge is only available in a limited number of lofts, which may only suit some golfers’ needs.
- Heavy feel: Some golfers may find the club’s weight slightly heavier than they prefer.
4) Cleveland CBX2 Wedge
The Cleveland CBX2 Wedge is an excellent choice for golfers of all skill levels looking for a versatile and forgiving wedge.
The hollow-cavity construction, fourth-generation Rotex face technology, and Gelback TPU Insert all provide exceptional performance and feel.
While the limited sole grind options and higher price points may be a consideration for some golfers, the CBX2 is still an outstanding wedge that offers consistent spin and control on all types of shots around the green.
The Cleveland CBX2 wedge is designed with forgiveness in mind, making it an excellent choice for mid and high-handicappers.
The wedge features a cavity back design that distributes weight to the perimeter of the club head, increasing forgiveness on off-center hits.
The CBX2 also has a variety of sole grind options, allowing golfers to choose the best grind for their game and the conditions they are playing in.
- Hollow-Cavity Design: The CBX2 has a hollow-cavity construction that redistributes weight to the perimeter, providing more forgiveness on off-center hits.
- Rotex Face Technology: The fourth-generation Rotex face technology maximizes spin, offering more control and consistency on every shot.
- Dynamic Sole Grind: The CBX2 has a versatile sole design that allows golfers to easily hit various shots, including flop shots and bunker shots.
- Gelback TPU Insert: This feature dampens vibrations and enhances the feel, providing a more comfortable and confident swing.
- Progressive Feel Balancing Technology: This technology redistributes weight in the clubhead, providing a better balance and feel that improves shotmaking.
- Exceptional Forgiveness: The CBX2’s hollow-cavity construction and Dynamic Sole Grind make it one of the most forgiving wedges on the market, providing excellent performance on mishits.
- Versatility: The versatile sole design and progressive feel balancing technology allow golfers to hit a variety of shots with ease.
- Consistent Spin: The fourth-generation Rotex face technology delivers a maximum spin on all types of shots, providing consistency and control.
- Comfortable and Confident Swing: The Gelback TPU Insert enhances the feel and dampens vibrations, providing a more comfortable and confident swing.
- Limited Sole Grind Options: While the CBX2’s sole design is versatile, it offers fewer sole grind options than other wedges on the market.
- Price: The CBX2 is not the most affordable wedge on the market, which may be a consideration for some golfers.
5) TaylorMade Hi-Toe Big Foot Wedge
TaylorMade Hi-Toe Big Foot Wedge is an excellent choice for golfers who demand versatility, precision, and control around the green.
Its unique design provides exceptional spin and control on short shots, while the full-width sole and anti-dig technology makes it easier to hit from any lie.
With a range of loft and bounce options, this wedge suits golfers of all skill levels and playing styles.
While getting used to the high toe and full-width sole may take some time, the benefits of improved spin and control are well worth the adjustment period.
The TaylorMade Hi-Toe Big Foot wedge is a unique wedge that features a hi-toe design and an expanded sole.
This design provides exceptional spin and versatility around the greens, making it a popular choice for golfers who like to be creative with their short game.
The wedge also features raised micro-ribs on the face that add texture for more spin on chip shots.
- Hi-Toe design for increased spin and control on open-faced shots
- Full-width sole with anti-dig technology for improved turf interaction
- Milled grind sole for maximum precision and consistency
- Thick-thin head design for improved feel and performance
- Multi-material construction for optimized weight distribution
- Available in a range of lofts and bounce options to suit every golfer’s needs
- Exceptional spin and control on short shots around the green
- Versatile design that can be used from any lie
- Full-width sole reduces the risk of digging into the turf
- Wide range of loft and bounce options to suit every golfer’s needs
- High-quality construction for improved durability and longevity
- The thick-thin head design provides improved feel and performance
- Not the best option for golfers who prefer a more traditional wedge design
- It can take some time to get used to the unique feel and performance of the high-toe and full-width sole
6) Callaway Mack Daddy CB Wedge
Callaway Mack Daddy CB Wedge is an excellent choice for golfers who value forgiveness, versatility, and spin control in their wedge game.
The cavity-back design and wide sole make it an ideal option for golfers who need help with consistency and accuracy.
At the same time, the laser-etched micro-grooves provide exceptional spin and control on every shot.
While it may not be the right fit for every golfer, the Mack Daddy CB Wedge is worth considering for those looking to improve their short-game performance.
The Callaway Mack Daddy CB wedges are great option for golfers looking for forgiveness and versatility in a wedge.
The wedge features a cavity back design that provides forgiveness on off-center strikes and a variety of sole grind options that allow golfers to choose the best grind for their game.
The Mack Daddy CB also has precision-milled grooves that provide consistent spin on chip shots.
- Cavity-back design for increased forgiveness and stability
- Wide sole with an enhanced heel, toe, and trailing edge relief
- Specially engineered center of gravity for improved consistency and accuracy
- Precise laser-etched micro-grooves for maximum spin and control
- Durable, high-performance steel shaft
- Available in multiple lofts and bounce options
- Excellent forgiveness and stability thanks to the cavity-back design
- Versatile enough to handle a variety of shots, from full swings to delicate chips and pitches around the green
- Enhanced heel, toe, and trailing edge relief helps prevent digging and promotes clean contact with the ball
- Laser-etched micro-grooves provide excellent spin and control on both full and partial shots
- The high-quality steel shaft is durable and delivers consistent performance
- Multiple loft and bounce options allow golfers to customize their wedge game to their individual needs and preferences
- Some golfers may prefer a more traditional blade-style wedge over the cavity-back design
- The wider sole may take some getting used to for golfers who are used to more narrow wedges
- The price point may be higher than some golfers are willing to pay for a wedge
7) Wilson Staff Model Wedge
The Wilson Staff Model Wedge is an excellent option for golfers who prioritize feel, control, and versatility in their short game.
While it may be priced higher than some other wedge options, the quality construction and performance of this wedge make it well worth the investment.
The Wilson Staff Model Wedge is one of the best golf wedges for golfers looking to improve their short game and take their skills to the next level.
The Wilson Staff Model wedges are precision-milled wedge that provides exceptional spin and control around the greens.
The wedge features a variety of sole grind options, including a low-bounce option that is ideal for golfers who play on firm courses.
The Staff Model also has machine-engraved score lines that provide a maximum spin on chip shots and a hydroflow micro-groove pattern that channels away debris for consistent spin and control.
- Precision-milled face with aggressive grooves for maximum spin and control
- Soft 8620 carbon steel construction for exceptional feel and feedback
- Tour-inspired sole grind for versatility and shotmaking capabilities
- Machine-engraved score lines for consistent spin and ball flight
- True Temper Dynamic Gold 120 shaft for optimal stability and control
- Exceptional feel and feedback: The soft carbon steel construction of the Wilson Staff Model Wedge provides an excellent feel and feedback on every golf shot.
- High spinning wedges and control: The precision-milled face and aggressive grooves produce maximum degree wedge spin and control for excellent short-game performance.
- Versatility: The tour-inspired sole grind and machine-engraved score lines allow for various shotmaking options on the course.
- Sleek design: The classic design of the Wilson Staff Model Wedge is visually appealing and will look great in any golfer’s bag.
- Limited bounce options: The typical wedge only comes with one bounce option, which may only suit some golfers’ preferences.
- Higher price point: The Wilson Staff Model Wedge is priced higher than other wedge options, which may only be affordable for some golfers.
8) Cobra Golf King Snake Bite Wedge
The Cobra Golf King Snake Bite Wedge is an excellent choice for golfers looking to enhance their spin and control around the greens.
The wedge's versatile grind, progressive groove system, and variable face roughness all work together to provide maximum spin and control.
The wedge may not be suitable for all players, but for mid-handicappers to low-handicap players, it's an excellent addition to their bag.
Although it's priced higher than some of its competitors, the performance and quality of the King Snake Bite Wedge make it a worthy investment for serious golfers.
Cobra Golf is a well-known brand in the golfing world, and their latest release, the King Snake Bite Wedge, has been creating a lot of buzz.
This wedge is designed to provide golfers with enhanced spin and control, helping them to make more accurate shots around the green.
The King Snake Bite Wedge has multiple lofts and bounces options to suit different golfers’ preferences and playing styles.
The Cobra Golf King Snake Bite Wedge has features designed to give golfers more control and spin around the greens. Some of the key features include:
- Milled Face: The King Snake Bite Wedge has a CNC-milled face that provides maximum spin and control on all shots.
The milled grooves on the face are engineered to optimize spin and provide consistency.
- Versatile Grind: The wedge features a versatile grind designed to perform well on all types of turf conditions.
The grind also provides enhanced shotmaking options for golfers.
- Variable Face Roughness: The King Snake Bite Wedge has a variable face roughness that enhances spin on full and partial shots.
This feature helps golfers to stop the ball quickly on the green, resulting in more accurate shots.
- Progressive Groove System: The wedge has a progressive groove system that features wider grooves on the lower lofts for better control on full shots and narrower grooves on the higher lofts for increased spin on partial shots.
- Enhanced Spin and Control: The King Snake Bite Wedge is designed to provide golfers maximum spin and control, making stopping the ball on the green easier.
- Versatile Grind: The versatile grind provides golfers with more shotmaking options, allowing them to play a wider range of shots around the green.
- Progressive Groove System: The progressive groove system is a unique feature that enhances performance on both full and partial shots.
- Multiple Loft and Bounce Options: The King Snake Bite Wedge has multiple lofts and bounce options, allowing golfers to choose the right wedge for their playing style and course conditions.
- Higher Price Point: The King Snake Bite Wedge is priced higher than some competitors, making it less accessible to budget-conscious golfers.
- Not Suitable for All Players: The King Snake Bite Wedge is designed for mid to low-handicap players and may not be suitable for beginners or high-handicap golfers.
What Wedge To Use Around The Green
1) Sand Wedges: A Must-Have in Your Bag
One of the most versatile wedges is the sand wedge.
With a loft ranging from 54 to 58 degrees, the sand wedge is essential for getting out of bunkers and deep rough.
But it’s not just limited to those shots.
The sand wedge an excellent club for chip shots around the green, and with its wide sole, it’s forgiving on off-center strikes.
2) Lob Wedges: The High Spinner
Another wedge to consider is the lob wedge, which typically has a loft of 60 degrees or more.
The lob wedge is perfect for hitting high, soft shots that stop quickly on the green.
This makes it ideal for short chips where you must carry the golf ball over an obstacle or stop it quickly.
However, it requires more skill to use the lob wedge effectively, so it may not be the best option for beginners or high handicappers.
3) Gap Wedges: Bridging the Gap
The gap wedge, also known as the utility wedge, is a wedge with a loft between 50 and 54 degrees.
It’s designed to bridge the gap between your pitching wedge and sand wedge and is a great club for full or partial shots in the 100-130 yard range.
It’s also useful for chipping around the green when you need a little more loft and spin than your pitching wedge can provide.
4) Pitching Wedge: The Workhorse Wedge
While not technically a “wedge,” the pitching wedge is still a vital club to have in your bag.
Typically with a loft between 44 and 48 degrees, the pitching wedge is the most versatile iron and can be used for full shots from the fairway, rough, or even the tee box.
It’s also useful for chipping around the green when you need a lower trajectory and less spin.
Choosing the Right Wedge for Your Game
When choosing the best wedge for your game, there are a few things to consider:
- Your skill level: High handicappers and beginners may want to consider more forgiving wedges with wider soles and less spin, while low handicappers may prefer wedges with sharper grooves and more spin.
- Sole grind: The sole grind can affect how the golf club interacts with the turf and can vary from wedge to wedge.
Some sole grinds are better suited for softer turf, while others are better for firmer conditions.
- Loft: The amount of loft on your wedge can affect trajectory and spin.
Generally, the higher the loft, the higher the trajectory and the more spin you can generate.
One of the essential features of a good chipping wedge is its spin capability.
A wedge with maximum spin provides added control, allowing you to stop the ball quickly on the green. Look for wedges with precision-milled faces and sharp grooves to ensure consistent spin performance.
The sole grind is the shape of the sole of the club. It affects the club’s ability to interact with the turf and determines the bounce angle.
Wedges with sole grinds that match your swing type can help you achieve consistent performance and better control around the green.
Cavity Back Wedge
Cavity back wedges have a hollow cavity in the back of the club head, which redistributes the weight of the club to provide more forgiveness on off-center hits.
They are ideal for mid to high handicappers who need more forgiveness on their short-game shots.
Raised Micro Ribs
Raised micro ribs on the clubface can help you achieve a consistent spin on your chip shots.
They provide more friction between the ball and the clubface, resulting in a more consistent spin rate and reduced spin drop-off.
Sole Grind Options
Golf wedges with multiple sole grind options allow you to customize your wedge to your swing type and the course conditions.
They offer greater flexibility and versatility and can help you achieve better results on different shots.
Precision Milled Face
A golf wedge with a precision milled face provides consistent spin performance and better control of your chip shots.
The milling process ensures that the grooves on the clubface are uniform and precise, resulting in maximum spin and improved accuracy.
Hydroflow Micro Grooves
Hydroflow micro-grooves are tiny channels on the clubface that help to channel away moisture and debris, resulting in a more consistent spin and less spin drop-off.
They are ideal for golfers who play in wet or humid conditions.
Choosing the best wedge for chipping is a critical decision that can significantly impact your short game.
By understanding the different types of golf wedges and their features, you can choose the best wedge for your game and the conditions you are playing in.
Whether you are a beginner or high handicapper, or a mid or low handicapper, a wedge can help you improve your short game and take your golf game to the next level.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Which wedge to use for chipping?
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as the best wedge for chipping depends on your personal preferences and playing style. However, generally speaking, a wedge with a higher loft angle (around 58-64 degrees) is often recommended for chipping, as it can help you get the ball up and onto the green with more control and accuracy. Some popular wedge options for chipping include the Cleveland CBX2, the Titleist Vokey SM8, and the TaylorMade Hi-Toe Big Foot Wedge. Ultimately, it's important to try out different wedges and find the one that feels most comfortable and effective for your chipping game.
Is it better to chip with a 56 or 60 degree wedge?
It ultimately depends on personal preference and the specific shot at hand. A 56 degree wedge may be more versatile and suitable for a wider range of chipping situations, while a 60 degree wedge may provide more loft and spin for higher shots with less roll. It is recommended to try both and see which wedge works best for you in different chipping scenarios.
Can a beginner golfer use a high-end wedge for chipping?
While high-end wedges can offer advanced features and performance benefits, they may not be necessary for beginner golfers. It is important to choose a wedge that matches your skill level and playing style, rather than simply choosing the most expensive or advanced option available.
What is the best wedge for chipping?
The best wedge for chipping will vary depending on the golfer's individual preferences and skill level. Some of our choice options include the Titleist Vokey SM8, Cleveland RTX ZipCore, and TaylorMade Hi-Toe Big Foot.
What factors should I consider when choosing a wedge for chipping?
When choosing a wedge for chipping, consider the loft of the club, the bounce angle, and the grind of the sole. A higher loft will produce a higher ball flight, while a higher bounce angle will help prevent the club from digging into the turf. The grind of the sole can affect how the club interacts with the turf and sand, and can impact the type of shots you are able to hit.