Putting isn’t an easy stroke to master, which is why most golfers struggle when it comes to the short game.
Therefore, if you are someone who is starting their golf journey, it is important to have a putter that is forgiving and allows you to improve your accuracy on the greens.
Many beginners use mallet putters, but some players can be as effective as mallet heads.
With hundreds of options out there, picking the best putter for beginners can be a little challenging, so we have compiled a list of 10 beginner-friendly putters.
Here's What's In Store For You...
Our Top 3 Putters For Beginners At A Glance
- Style: Available in Black Color
- Size: 34" or 35"
- Performance: Optimal Forgiveness, Enhanced Stability, and Control
- MOI: High
- Style: Double Bend Hosel, Oversized Grip
- Size: Available in 33",34" and 35"
- Performance: Excellent performance with added stability and forward roll
- MOI: High
- Style: Mallet Style
- Size: 35"
- Performance: Optimal forward roll and balanced design
- MOI: High
The Top 10 Good Beginner Putters That Are Easy & Simple to Use
The putter is one of the most essential clubs in a golfer’s bag, as you need a putter to get the ball into the cup from the green.
To minimize your stroke count, you need a forgiving, well-balanced putter that improves your accuracy on the green.
So without further delay, let’s dive into our list of the ten best putters for beginners.
1) TaylorMade Spider Tour Black #3
- Lightweight 6061 aluminum core matched with 304 SS frame that provides a high moment of inertia.
- The modern mallet head has better stability and roll.
- Pure Roll Groove insert that provides increased topspin and forward roll distance control
- PU foam is embedded between the body and frame to dampen vibrations and enhance the club’s sturdy feel.
- SuperStroke GTR 1.0 Grip.
- Chrome Finish Steel Shaft.
- An ideal putter for beginner golfers struggling with off-centered shots
- It has a high moment of inertia
- Premium build quality that is aesthetic and feels exceptional
- Promotes a square putter face at impact
- Consistent forward roll
- This setup comes with a single alignment aid so limited assistance.
This TaylorMade Spider mallet putter provides you optimal control and stability while you are still perfecting your game.
It offers performance at par with previous TaylorMade Golf models, such as the TaylorMade Spider X Putter.
Its aluminum core and stainless steel frame pairs keep it from twisting during your putting stroke, plus this keeps the putter head square when it hits the ball.
Pure roll inserts combined with soft polymer give the maximum forward roll possible and provide consistent power even if you half-hit the ball from the toe or the heel.
TaylorMade has left no stone unturned in constructing this premium putter for beginners, and in our opinion, these extra dollars are worth it if you want the best putter for your new-found love for golf.
2) Odyssey Golf 2022 Ten Putter
- It has an enhanced sleeker shape, making it a popular choice among pro-golfers.
- Triple Track option to improve alignment.
- Multi-material Stroke Lab shaft for guaranteed success when putting
- Seven grams lighter overall, stiff, and more stable so your shot accuracy and consistency are enhanced.
- Insert constructed using Microhinge Technology to promote immediate forward roll for improved speed and response.
- The triple Track option provides better alignment, so you know where the ball will travel.
- The multi-material shaft provides improved responsiveness and feedback
- The shot accuracy and consistent roll help you improve your short game over time.
- The forward roll is quick, and the club is pretty well-balanced.
- Comes with an oversized grip for comfortable handling
- No head cover at this price point
The Odyssey Golf 2022 Ten Putter is one of the best golf clubs for beginners trying to master their putting stroke.
Thanks to its construction that uses Microhinge technology, it offers consistent roll and shot accuracy.
The lightweight, balanced shaft helps you time your stroke and get the optimum ball speed.
All-in-all, this is one of the best mallet putters that you can buy as a beginner, making it our editor’s choice as well.
3) PowerBilt TPS X-Type M-900
The PowerBilt TPS X-Type M-900 is our budget pick due to its affordable pricing and exceptional performance. This modern mallet putter is quite forgiving and allows you to go birdie or eagle on every other hole.
It significantly improves your accuracy on the greens making it a great value-for-money option.
- It has an alloy steel construction that makes it sturdy.
- Karma Big Softy oversized putter grip for better handling.
- Enlarged alignment line features for accuracy.
- High MOI
- Budget-friendly with a price of under $40
- Increased stability and precision
- Consistent ability to hit the golf ball at the right speed
- Immediate forward roll
- The finishing and aesthetic of this golf club are not at par with other clubs on this list.
- Not recommended for golfers with a slight arc stroke
The PoweBilt TPS X-Type is an excellent option for any beginner golfer who cannot afford the premium options.
With a price of less than $40, it is not only forgiving but helps you perform better.
The M-900 provides a high moment of inertia, allowing golfers to stroke the ball in a straight line.
Its putter face insert has grooves that provide topspin once the face hits the golf ball, so even if you cannot center the ball, it travels the same distance.
The alignment aids included with this putter are alignment lines that help you aim at your desired target.
Last but not least, this budget putter comes with a Karma Big Softy oversized putter grip that keeps your wrist stable when you hit the ball, giving a square face at impact.
4) Odyssey White Hot OG 5 Putter
- The Odyssey White Hot OG Putter Series has phenomenal feedback and performance thanks to its two-part urethane insert.
- Silver PVD Finish with fine milling that gives it a classical look.
- Multi-Stroke Lab Shaft with Candy Apple Red Color.
- DFX Rubber Grip provides better grip and handling.
- Classic Look and Design that performs the same as the original one
- Has a premium feel and aesthetic
- Improves your putting strokes stability and precision
- Can sound clunky in the golf bag due to its metal construction
The Odyssey OG series mallet putters are some of the best in the market thanks to their amazing construction and premium look.
It not only improves your putting strokes, but it also consistently hits in a straight line.
The precision-milled face remains stable through impact and suits golfers with a slight arc.
Moreover, this face-balanced putter is quite forgiving and easily controls miss-hits, making it an excellent choice for beginners.
5) Cobra Golf 3D Printed Supernova
The Cobra Golf 3D Printed Supernova is the most forgiving putter on our list, which makes it the best putter for amateur golfers and high handicappers.
Its smart stroke tracking feature, “Cobra-Connect,” makes it perfect for people who want to check their progress.
All-in-all, this is one of the most innovative putters you can buy on the market.
- Its 3D-printed nylon insert and intricate 3D-printed nylon make it a well-balanced putter that provides a high MOI thanks to its blade-shaped face.
- Maximum stability with multi-material construction which includes nylon lattice, steel frame, aluminum cap, and tungsten heel and toe.
- 4 descending lofts for consistent and accurate roll
- Cobra Connect Grip with Lamkin Smart Grip connects with your smart device to help you track data.
- One of the most forgiving putters for beginner golfers.
- Smart grips to track your progress and make adjustments
- Consistent stroke with topspin
- High moment of inertia
- Adjustable weighting and balance of putter face
- Most newbies will overlook this option because of its high price point.
Cobra Golf 3D Printed Supernova is one of the best putters for beginners because of its forgiving performance.
This putter boasts some of the newest technologies and has 3D-printed construction that gives its designers the ability to tinker with the smallest details.
It comes with an adjustable weighting system so you can alter the balance of the club face according to your liking and feel.
These alterations and adjustments allow you to produce consistent results.
Mallet putters tend to have a high MOI, making them less prone to twisting and flexing when hitting square-on. The Cobra Golf is no different and allows you to hit the desired line with improved accuracy.
Last but not least, its Arccos Caddie grip has sensors in its rubber to track your performance that can be viewed on your mobile.
It is the best putter for beginners looking for a putter club that offers plenty of aids to help improve your golf swing and hit the sweet spot more often.
6) WILSON Staff Men's Michigan Ave Infinite Golf Putter
The WILSON Staff Men's Michigan Ave Infinite is a solid blade putter that provides an excellent feel without the added weight of a mallet.
The blade-style putter face of Ave Infinite has a lot of toe hang, making it perfect for arc putting strokes.
Beginners that do not require a heavier putter face or club head should get this option for its higher power.
- Consistent impact and travel distance due to Double Milled Face.
- Counterbalance technology to give the right balance to the golf club
- PVD Ultra Dark finish gives a pleasing look
- A perforated pattern grip that gives a stable feel limits the movement of the stroke.
- Heavy grip construction for counterbalance putter feel
- Soft feel putter due to its milled face
- Oversize grips and counterbalance make it a breeze to stroke this putter
- White Alignment aids make it easy to target the right spot
- It is a thicker, larger blade as compared to traditional putter
- Has an aesthetic matte black finish
- The soft feel might be too subtle for some beginner golfers
The Wilson Ave Infinite Blade Putter is one of the best for beginners because its traditional blade design also has modern cues.
The milled face gives it a solid but soft feel when it pushes against the golf ball.
While using it, you will feel that it is easier to control the stroke distance with it.
Its counterbalance weighting, combined with overall balance and oversize grip with alignment lines, provides you with a stable and accurate stroke, making it the best putter for beginners.
7) Cobra Golf 2021 King 3D Printed Agera Putter
- Its 3D-printed nylon insert and intricate 3D-printed nylon make it a well-balanced golf putter and provide a high MOI with its blade-shaped face.
- Maximum stability with multi-material construction includes nylon lattice, steel frame, aluminum cap, and tungsten heel and toe.
- Four descending lofts for consistent and accurate roll
- Cobra Connect Grip with Lamkin Smart Grip connects with your smart device to help you track data.
- Headcover to keep it protected from scuffs and scratches
- 3D printed weight manipulation for excellent balance
- Very forgiving putter launched lately
- Delivers perfect distance control and ball speed
- Consistent performance to help you optimize your game and putting
- A new entrant in the market, so most people overlook it
- The unorthodox putter face takes some time to get used to
The Cobra Golf 2021 King 3D Printed Putter will leave you delighted with its lightweight construction even with its large putter face.
Right off the hook, you will also feel that the putter is well-balanced and solid, so you will not feel it in your hands until you stroke the golf ball.
It will allow you to consistently hit the distances at long ranges, and once you get how to square the putter face, you will easily put the ball in single strokes while on the green.
The Sik Face Technology uses descending loft for launch and assists newbies in taking the perfect shot.
The stock Lamkin grip pairs nicely with the larger head and improves the balance of the shaft.
All-in-all this is the best putter for beginners due to its use of lightweight, innovative construction.
8) Odyssey 2 Ball Triple Track
The Triple Track Odyssey 2 Ball provides functional alignment aids, making it one of the best golf putters for beginners.
This mallet-style putter comes with a multi-material Stroke Lab Shaft that is lightweight and stiff.
The Odyssey 2 Ball also offers immediate forward roll with improved speed and control.
- Enhanced Ten Putter shape helps make it a better putter than the previous generation
- It is sleeker, more forgiving, and comes in a variety of styles including the 2 balls triple track
- Odyssey’s proprietary major-winning, multi-material Stroke Lab shaft is now even better.
- This high-performance insert is packed with Microhinge technology, promoting immediate forward roll for improved speed and control.
- Functional alignment aid
- Responsive forward roll
- High Moi Putters
- Forgiving towards off-centered strokes and mishits
- Soft feel with an overall sturdy design
- Expensive option considering it is designed for beginners
The robust Odyssey 2 Ball Triple Track is a great putter for beginners because of its effective use of alignment lines.
This classic 2-ball putter allows you to line your stroke with the ball and provides assistance that helps improve your game.
The micro hinge star insert used by Odyssey increases the forward roll on all shots, and even mishits lead to adequate ball speed.
Since it is a mallet-style putter you should expect high MOI from the 2 Ball Triple Track.
This keeps the putter face square when you strike the ball and takes it straight to the hole.
All-in-all this Odyssey putter is a great option for beginners looking to improve their accuracy and speed.
9) Pinemeadow Golf Men's PGX Putter
If you are a beginner golfer struggling to hit the sweet spot consistently with blade putters, you should try the Pinemeadow Golf Men’s PGX Putter, which comes with a mallet-shaped head.
This putter will help you improve your golf game without spending too much money on other high-end mallet-style options.
- A putter length of 34″ is optimal for the majority of golfers
- White finish that adds to its aesthetic and allows easy focus on the putter line
- Tour-weighted so suited with faster greens
- Includes custom PGX headcover
- White finish that allows easier focus when stroking the ball
- Stronger feel as compared to blade putters
- Perfect for straight-back players due to extended lines
- Not at par with our top 3 picks.
The Pinemeadow Golf Men’s PGX Putter is a great option for people who are struggling with blade putters.
This putter comes with a white finish that makes it appealing and gives it a contrasting color with the greens to give you more focus.
However, this putter struggles with performance if we compare it with our budget pick, the PowerBilt TPS X-Type M-900 although both of them have a similar price point.
The Pinemeadow also has a stronger feel to it, and with its 34-inch length, it is optimal for most players.
In short, this putter is for faster greens and people who want to try out mallet head clubs.
10) TaylorMade TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3 Putter
- 303 stainless steel milled perfectly gives a soft feel for superior performance and aesthetics.
- The machine-milled design also makes it visually appealing.
- PureRoll insert features grooves at a downward 45° angle designed to optimize roll characteristics.
- Classy, premium looks that make it a delight to hold
- Soft, stable feel, just like blades
- Consistently squares the ball into the hole
- People with different strokes can use it
- Glares under the bright sun can be a distraction
The TaylorMade TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3 is the best putter for beginners because its machine-milled stainless steel construction makes it quite forgiving even to the most off-centered strokes.
Moreover, the machine-milled finish makes it look beautiful on the greens.
The winged shape of the mallet head allows it to square towards the ball without any mishits.
It sounds firm and loud at impact due to its deep groves on the face insert.
However, its glaring body can be a distraction on a sunny day, this is why it loses its spot to TaylorMade’s Spider Tour Black Putter #3 as our top pick.
Overall the Bandon 3 putter provides good control and stability with comfortable handling.
Factors To Consider When Choosing The Best Putter For Newbies
When choosing a putter for yourself, you should consider the below-mentioned factors so you can make the right choice:
1) Different Type Of Putters
Putters can be grouped into two main groups: toe-balanced and face-balanced. Most blade putters are toe-balanced, while most mallet heads are face-balanced.
Toe-balanced putters are recommended for players with an arcing stroke, and face-balanced putters are for players that prefer a straight stroke.
Other types include belly putters and offset putters.
The former rests on the player’s stomach, providing stability when they go for a stroke.
The latter has an offset shaft that keeps your hands ahead of the ball, allowing you to align the club head and hit the sweet spot.
Insert is the type of surface on the club head. Insert faces are easy to recognize due to their color and patterns.
They provide a softer feel on impact and give the ball a pure roll. Putters without inserts have a milled face and a stiffer feel.
Whether you want your first putter to have an insert will depend on what you are comfortable with.
With recent strides in golf technology, many manufacturers pair their pure roll inserts with optimized face technology for better travel and forward roll.
The speed-optimized face technology by Cleveland golf is one such example.
3) Alignment Features
Features that assist with aligning a putter stoke perfectly on the green are vital for beginners on the golf course to help improve their short game.
These alignment features greatly assist in helping you hit the ball at the sweet spot and keep the club face straight while doing so.
4) Putter Length
Choosing the right length for your putter is also important. Try out different lengths to figure out what seems most comfortable to you.
5) Putter Grip
You can choose between fat or skinny grips depending on which grip gives you the best feel, traction, and feedback.
The above-mentioned list of best putters for beginners will make your decision much easier.
Choosing an option among these will come down to your preferences and what works best for you.
However, if you cannot make the decision yourself, you can choose any of our top 3 picks. They will surely help you improve your game and provide value for your money.