- More Articles
- 2019 to Bring Record-Breaking Excitement, Innovation to the LPGA Tour
- PGA of America Relocating Headquarters to Frisco as Part of Innovative Public-Private Partnership
- Joe Passov to Receive ASGCA Donald Ross Award
- PGA REACH, Grayhawk Golf Club and National Car Rental Partner with Golf Channel to Air Primetime Special Highlighting the 2018 PGA Jr. League on Dec. 4
- PHIT Act at the Goal Line
- World Golf Foundation Convenes Historic Minority Supplier Diversity Conference at World Golf Village
- Greg McLaughlin Named World Golf Foundation CEO & President of The First Tee
- Take Part in #GivingTuesday
- Team California Claims 2018 PGA Jr. League Championship presented by National Car Rental
November 30, 2018
PHIT Act at the Goal Line
SILVER SPRING, MD — For the first time ever, the Personal Health Investment Today (PHIT) Act passed the U.S. House of Representatives on July 25, 2018. The final vote count reflected the strong, bipartisan support behind this activity promotion legislation. The PHIT Act will lower activity-related expenses by 20 to 37 percent for consumers and their families, decreasing the financial burden to activity that many Americans face. The bill now awaits a vote in the Senate. The Sports & Fitness Industry Association (SFIA) is working with our physical activity partners in the medical, health club, youth sport, personal trainer, outdoor recreation and other active lifestyle industries to build on the momentum and get PHIT enacted by the end of the year.
Delaying action on this bill is not an option. When the new Congress is seated in January 2019, there will be new leadership in the House and new priorities. Passing the PHIT Act in 2018 is the best option, and due to its solid bipartisanship, it is in a strong position. While the bill already has bipartisan support from 16 Senators, the others will be targeted via social media and e-mails to urge support for PHIT.
“The urgency behind people in our industry taking action on this bill is at its most critical point,” stated SFIA President and CEO, Tom Cove. “We must pass the PHIT Act in the next two weeks.”
As the nation is addressing an inactivity pandemic and skyrocketing health care costs, the PHIT Act is a solution to begin mitigating both problems. The key to a stronger nation, both physically and economically, is a more active, healthier population. It is essential that this law passes before the new year, so Americans can begin to reap the benefits as soon as possible.
The Sports & Fitness Industry Association (SFIA), the #1 source for sport and fitness research, is the leading global trade association of manufacturers, retailers, and marketers in the sports products and fitness industry. SFIA seeks to promote sports and fitness participation, as well as industry vitality through research, thought leadership, public affairs, industry affairs and member services. For more information, please visit www.sfia.org.