- More Articles
- Top 10 Facts About Golf
- Women & Girls Golf Is Showcased Around the World
- USGA, Topgolf and FOX Sports to Host Nationwide U.S. Open Watch Party on June 14
- Be A Part Of Women's Golf Day
- National LGBT Chamber of Commerce Partnership with WE ARE GOLF
- LPGA and 18Birdies Announce Joint Initiative to Promote Women's Golf
- The National Golf Foundation Issues 2018 Golf Industry Report
- USGA Increases Commitment to Growing the Game Through PLAY9 Program
- WE ARE GOLF Celebrates 11th Annual National Golf Day in Washington, D.C.
August 31, 2017
Patriot Golf Day: How Teeing It up Raises Millions for Folds of Honor, U.S. Military Families
Patriot Golf Day has raised $22 million over the past 10 years and Jack Nicklaus this year is serving as the event’s honorary chairman for the third time.
Nicklaus has been a long-time supporter of efforts aimed at helping servicemen and women, including donating his design services to expand the American Lake Veterans Golf Course outside Tacoma, Washington, from nine holes to 18 in 2016. The existing nine holes at 60-year-old American Lake, the only U.S. course designed specifically for use by wounded and disabled veterans, previously couldn’t accommodate the demand from veterans and their families.
“I am passionate and committed to any initiative that allows us to recognize, assist and support the men and women of our military, who have sacrificed so much for our freedom,” Nicklaus said. “When we can use the game of golf as the vehicle to give back, it becomes even more meaningful to me.”
Patriot Golf Day has helped Folds of Honor award more than 16,000 scholarships since it was founded by Major Dan Rooney in 2007 following his second of three tours of duty in Iraq.
Full article: Forbes.com