- More Articles
- TEDx Talk with Jeremy Poincenot
- Five Questions with a PGA TOUR Executive
- 2017 PGA Junior League Championship Presented by National Car Rental to be Contested at Grayhawk Golf Club, Nov. 16-19
- National Golf Foundation: 5 Questions with Bridgestone Golf CEO Angel Ilagan
- Patriot Golf Day: How Teeing It up Raises Millions for Folds of Honor, U.S. Military Families
- Washington Post: Five Myths About Golf
- Organizers are Preparing Bellerive Country Club for 100th PGA Championship
- New York Times - A Golf Center Grows in Harlem
- The First Tee & Dell Technologies Championship Youth Golf Day Returns to MGA Links on August 30
August 25, 2017
New York Times - A Golf Center Grows in Harlem
The Bridge Golf Learning Center, also the headquarters for the foundation, opened in May 2016. The center occupies a street-level space in the rear of a luxury condominium called the Adeline that was built in 2014.
The facility has three hitting bays. Cups for putting are sunk into the carpeted floor. When the foundation isn’t in session with the students, the center is open to the public — generally a high-paying clientele — for lessons with golf pros, club fittings, fitness screenings and open play on state-of-the-art simulators that spew data such as club speed and carry distance.
Juan and Antonio know all of their numbers.
“Today I hit 275,” Juan said on a recent afternoon at the learning center, referring to how many yards he hit the ball off a tee with his driver. It was his longest drive yet. Antonio’s was 266. Either would be the envy of most recreational golfers.
The students at the center are seventh through 10th graders. All of them have enrolled by choice, but as a requirement of enrollment they must go to the learning center at least four days a week after school.
The organization also offers a seven-week summer program. Many of the students spent July and the first half of August preparing for state Regents exams. The twins focused on geometry, Juan in hopes of improving upon a 72, Antonio with the goal of passing. Each passed the earth science exam with ease.
You can read the whole article here.