- More Articles
- Five Questions: Adrienne Chance, Topgolf
- World's Largest Golf Outing Raises Nearly $300,000 for Charity
- 10 Killer Ways to Take Your Fitness Outside This Summer
- GolfTEC Student Kent Menendez Wins Special Olympics Gold Medal
- Curry, Romo and Timberlake Headline All-Star Field at the 2017 American Century Championship; July 14-16 on NBC, NBCSN
- NBC Sports Group to Deliver More Than 25 Hours of KPMG Women's PGA Championship Coverage
- USGA Accepts 7,149 Entries for 117th U.S. Amateur Championship
- The Community Impact of Golf: Courses Help Rebirth in New Orleans and Detroit
- How Far Does the Average Pro Golfer Walk Each Year?
April 07, 2017
BuzzFeed: 5 Reasons Why ‘National Golf Day’ Should Matter To You
The 10th anniversary of National Golf Day is Wednesday, April 26 and industry leaders will travel to Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C. to share the game’s benefits to society with Congressional members, the Executive Branch and Federal agencies. Whether you hit the links or not, why should you care?
1. Two Million Jobs
Golf impacts close to two million jobs across America, or one in 75 U.S. jobs is associated with the game. This includes PGA TOUR players (like Billy Hurley III, who is attending National Golf Day this year), course superintendents, chefs and pro shop attendants, among others. Have you worked in golf?
2. $70 Billion Industry
Each year, golf contributes a nearly $70 billion economic impact to America, including $55.6 billion in annual wage income. Golf’s core industries alone exceed the economic impact of spectator sports, the performing arts and the amusement and recreation industries.
4. A Game For All
The median cost for 18 holes of golf in America is $37. Eight out of 10 golfers play public facilities. 75 percent of all U.S. golf rounds are played on public golf courses. It’s less expensive and more accessible than you think! Don’t know how to start? Companies like GolfTEC or programs like “Get Golf Ready” are making lessons affordable and accessible to everyone.
5. Free Golf
Did someone say free golf? On April 26, Topgolf is offering free lessons at each of its 28 venues nationwide to celebrate National Golf Day’s 10th anniversary. Don’t know how to golf? This is your chance! Topgolf offers a relaxed, fun environment with food, music and laughs for all!
To join the social conversation, visit the WE ARE GOLF social media hub. Use #NGD17 and @wearegolf on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to show your support for the industry and share why golf is more than a game to you!